& Sat-Sun 10am-5pm
In 2012 BIG!NYC:
* Diverted 1,200 tons of reuseable building materials from the landfill
* Donated over 57 tons of lumber to community & school gardens. That's 1,200 raised garden beds in NYC!
* Gave away $58,780 worth of materials to local organizations.
5/21 BIG!Compost Volunteer Orientation @ LIC (6:30-8pm). RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
5/28 BIG!Workshops: Know Your Tools: Women & Trans Tool 101 @ BIG!NYC Gowanus (6:30-8pm)
6/2 BIG!Workshops: Mosaic What Your Momma Gave You @ BIG!NYC Gowanus (11:30am-1:30pm)
6/8 BIG!Workshops: Scaffolding Lumber Benches with Spark Workshops @ BIG!NYC Gowanus (11:30am-1:30pm)
6/15,22,29 BIG!Workshops: Make Your Own Folding Stool with Mr. Fox @ BIG!NYC Gowanus (3 sessions; 12:30-2pm)
Job Opportunities at BIG!NYC
Help Green Western Queens with BIG!Compost! BIG!Compost, a program of Build It Green!NYC, is looking for western Queens residents between the ages of 18-24 to join our summer Compost Corps Program. Compost Corps is an 8-week compost operations apprenticeship program. During the program, participants will work with BIG!Compost, the NYC Compost Project, and City Growers to increase composting capacity through workdays and compost application in western Queens.
Through a combination of workshops led by the NYC Compost Project in Queens, workdays with BIG!Compost at local composting sites, pedagogical training with City Growers, Compost Corps participants will acquire a solid understanding of the science behind decomposition and the techniques required to manage compost operations in an urban context. Compost Corps members will have the opportunity to share this knowledge by representing BIG!Compost at events and workdays in the community.
Compost Corps Program Information
Program Dates: June – Mid August
Program Requirements: Attend week-long training first week of June, complete 200 hours of work (approx. 25 hrs/week). Weekday and weekend shifts are required.
Other Requirements: Preference will be given to residents ages 18-24 living or going to school in Long Island City, Woodside, Sunnyside, & Astoria. View target area map online at: bit.ly/16l6IUi.
Stipend: $2000 upon completion of program requirements.
Applications due by Monday, May 13. Please submit a cover letter addressing the following questions and a resume to: email@example.com
Please address all of the following questions in your cover letter:
- Why do you want to be part of the Compost Corps?
- What experience, if any, do you have composting?
- Please describe any teaching experience you may have.
- Are you involved in any school or community projects?
- How did you hear about the Compost Corps program?
- Will you be available to complete both weekday and weekend shifts during the months of June, July, and August?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the application process or program.
Funding for Compost Corps is generously provided by the North Star Fund’s Greening Western Queens Fund. Community partners include the NYC Compost Project in Queens hosted at Queens Botanical Garden, City Growers, and Brooklyn Grange.
Build It Green!NYC is always seeking qualified applications for temporary deconstruction staff. Please send your resume to email@example.com.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with Donations and Deconstruction teams to pick up and sometimes dismantle items that are being donated to Build It Green!NYC.
- Be available on an "on-call basis" for working pick-ups and deconstruction jobs. Hours will fluctuate on a daily basis.
- Applicant must have a good work ethic.
- Work reliably and effectively, both independently and as part of team of staff/volunteers.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment and comply with all procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Heavy lifting and moving of inventory will be required (100lbs).
- Experience on a construction site/project and or job site is preferred.
- Knowledge of building materials and basic hand tools is a plus.
- New York drivers license is a plus, especially experience driving a truck. BIG!NYC has a 14 foot box truck - please mention if you have experience driving a similar vehicle.
- Flexible schedule is required - lead time for jobs ranges from one week to one day's notice.
How to Apply:
- Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out other Green Jobs at NYC Materials Exchange Development Program.