Job Opportunities at Big Reuse
Position Title: Reuse Center Director - Gowanus, Brooklyn
Big Reuse is a non-profit organization whose mission is to divert reusable materials from the landfill, thereby helping to build a greener community and economy. We operate two building material reuse centers, a community composting site, and green job training programs. We support community based environmental initiatives through material grants, incubation of start-up projects, and job training programs.
We are filling the position for Director of Big Reuse Brooklyn. This manager will be responsible for the overall operations of the reuse center that retails salvaged building materials, works with green job training programs and volunteers, and a coworking space for environmental non-profits. It requires a person who is experienced, flexible, resourceful, and committed to the Big Reuse social and environmental mission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Work with entire Big Reuse team to ensure reuse center is self sustaining and generates net revenue.
Manage staff to efficiently organize and clean reuse center while providing high quality customer service.
Hire and train additional staff as needed.
Strategic merchandising and display of inventory - organize layout of reuse center to maximize available space and customer’s shopping experience.
Oversee timely inventory processing and assist as needed: all inventory items are unloaded, priced, and merchandised at the reuse center.
Work with staff to make sure selected inventory is uploaded to web, weekly newsletter and other social media sites.
Coordinate donation deliveries with the Donations Director and Deconstruction Director.
Monitor donations at center and work with staff to establish donation parameters.
Continually upcycle/giveaway/recycle/dispose of unsellable items.
Be available on days off for occasional phone consultation by staff at working at center.
Coordinate with Astoria Director on pricing and distribution of donations.
Provide high quality sales and customer service in person, via email and on the phone. Supervise staff to provide the best customer service as possible.
Resolve conflicts with customers tactfully.
Cultivate ongoing relationships with high value customers.
Recruit customers and others to provide material donations.
Operate center within the parameters of the budget including profit and loss management. Responsible for the proper handling of all transactions and understanding any ensuing variances.
Work with Finance Manager and Assistant Manager to ensure that financial protocols are followed and meet periodically to review budget and cash flow.
Manage/coordinate activities of reuse center staff. Coordinate weekly schedules. Run a weekly team meeting.
Evaluate staff on annual basis.
Manage volunteer activities with Assistant Manager.
Develop and coordinate job training program participation.
Responsible for ensuring staff complies with all procedures, rules, and regulations; communicate changes any changes in procedure to staff.
Maintain a safe and clean environment for the staff and public alike to work and shop in.
Collaborate with Director and Finance Manager to coordinate coworking program.
Liaison with organizations in coworking incubator space.
Assure that the coworking space are safe, clean and accessible.
Meet with the Big Reuse Executive Director to establish goals and review activities.
Track operational metrics. Prepare weekly report for and attend the managers’ meeting.
The successful candidate must possess the following job requirements:
A Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5 years full time management experience or a minimum 9 years of management experience in related fields.
Ideally experience in retail with additional experience in construction, environmental work and non-profit management.
Expert with Microsoft Office and Excel, Google Apps, and be knowledgeable about point of sale systems (i.e. Quickbooks).
Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
Deep commitment to and knowledge of “green” and environmental values, especially in green design and construction, reuse and recycling.
Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-priority driven environment.
Adaptable to a flexible work schedule. Ability to work one weekend shift.
We offer a competitive salary consistent with the nonprofit world, generous paid time off, and medical benefits to all full-time employees.
Please send a cover letter & résumé via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use REUSE CENTER DIRECTOR POSITION in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.
Part-time Field Assistant, NYC Compost Project hosted by Big Reuse
Reports to: Program Manager, NYC Compost Project hosted by Big Reuse
The NYC Compost Project, created by the NYC Department of Sanitation in 1993, provides compost education and outreach to NYC residents, community groups, city agencies and non-profits. The NYC Compost Project offers compost-related workshops and classes, runs the Master Composter Certificate Program, provides technical composting support, develops urban farms, and tables at public events throughout all five boroughs. The NYC Compost Project also operates neighborhood-based food scrap drop-off opportunities and ensures that those food scraps are composted locally.
The NYC Compost Project hosted by Big Reuse is a community-scale composting program that works to increase capacity for, acceptance of, and participation in composting in New York City. We serve the public by hosting weekly residential food scrap drop-off sites, training community members in urban composting best practices, and creating and providing high-quality compost to amend our city’s soils. Finished compost is used in community gardens, school gardens, street tree beds and other public beautification projects. The New York City Compost Project Local Organics Recovery Program (LORP) was launched in the spring of 2012 by DSNY to provide NYC residents with a wider range of food scrap drop-off opportunities. Organic materials dropped off at at NYC Compost Project hosted by Big Reuse sites are composted locally in Long Island City.
The NYC Compost Project seeks an enthusiastic individual with compost and outreach experience for a part-time Field Assistant, a program of DSNY’s Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability. Field Assistants are responsible for the collection of food scraps at their assigned drop-off site and promotion of food scrap diversion for composting. An understanding of the importance of composting is beneficial. The position requires good communications skills, the ability to think on one’s feet, and the willingness to work 7-8 hour days in all weather, and on weekends and holidays.
- Act as an ambassador of the NYC Compost Project.
- Conduct community outreach at food scrap drop-offs at farmer’s markets, Queens Library locations, and Commuter Composting locations and other public events, as needed.
- Assist in volunteer management at compost workdays and events, as needed.
- Assist with intake, storage and distribution of DSNY compost and mulch at Big Reuse, as needed
- Additional duties as determined by NYC Compost Project Program Manager.
· Outgoing personality and a passion for urban agriculture, composting, and community-based outreach.
· Driver’s license. Experience driving a box truck, preferable.
· Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and provide regular feedback to program manager.
· Must be able to work Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays and other days as assigned.
· Strong communication skills and experience supervising volunteers.
· Ability to lift up to 40 lbs alone or a shared load of up to 70lbs; and to generally handle physically strenuous tasks in all weather conditions.
· Commitment to and working knowledge of composting practices for urban settings
· Basic understanding of NYC government and DSNY’s Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability.
Hours and Compensation: This is an hourly position for 12-20 hours per week, pay $15.00 per hour.
This position is based in western Queens and requires traveling throughout Queens and North Brooklyn.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “NYC Compost Project Field Assistant” in the subject line. The application process is rolling.
Please no phone calls or emails regarding this position. Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Big Reuse is always seeking qualified applications for temporary deconstruction staff. Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with Donations and Deconstruction teams to pick up and sometimes dismantle items that are being donated to Big Reuse.
- Be available on an "on-call basis" for working pick-ups and deconstruction jobs. Hours will fluctuate on a daily basis.
- Applicant must have a good work ethic.
- Work reliably and effectively, both independently and as part of team of staff/volunteers.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment and comply with all procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Heavy lifting and moving of inventory will be required (100lbs).
- Experience on a construction site/project and or job site is preferred.
- Knowledge of building materials and basic hand tools is a plus.
- New York drivers license is a plus, especially experience driving a truck. Big Reuse has a 16 foot box truck - please mention if you have experience driving a similar vehicle.
- Flexible schedule is required - lead time for jobs ranges from one week to one day's notice.
How to Apply:
- Please send your resume to email@example.com.